https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/ (“This site”) is operated by the University of Oxford. We are committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information (‘personal data’).
B Who is using your personal data?
The University of Oxford is the “data controller" for the information that you provide to us when visiting this website. This means that we decide how to use it and are responsible for looking after it in accordance with the GDPR.
Access to your personal data within the University will be provided to those staff who need to view it as part of their work in connection with the operation of this website. It will also be shared with the third parties described in Section G.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. We may update this policy at any time.
By visiting our site you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
Where we refer in this policy to your ‘personal data’, we mean any recorded information that is about you and from which you can be identified. It does not include data where your identity has been removed (anonymous data).
Where we refer to the ‘processing’ of your personal data, we mean anything that we do with that information, including collection, use, storage, disclosure or retention.
D Types of data we collect about you
We will collect, store, and use the following categories of data when you use our site:
Data you give us. When you fill in a contact form on our website, or contact us by email or phone in relation to the website, you may give us data about you including:
- Phone number
- Email address
Unless otherwise stated on the form, this information will be processed by our web content management system providers via servers based in the EAA. Further information about the data we share with third parties is provided in section G below.
- If you visit our site, we will automatically collect certain technical information, for example, the type of device (and its unique device identifier) you use to access our site, the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the Internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system, mobile network information and platform.
- We will automatically collect information about your visit to our site including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from the Website (including date and time), pages you viewed, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
E When we collect your data
We will collect the vast majority of data about you when you fill in a contact form on our site, when you correspond with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise, or when you report a problem with our site.
When you visit our site we may also automatically collect technical information about your visit from your computer.
F How we use your data
We process your data for one or more of the following reasons:
- To reply to specific queries you make via contact forms, phone calls or email. We do this only where you have actively contacted us with a query that requires a reply. You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us at email@example.com. In this event, we will stop any processing as soon as we can. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before your withdrawal of consent.
- For purposes arising from your use of this website, for example, to ensure that we understand who uses our site and how our site is used. This processing occurs because it is necessary to meet our legitimate interests in operating this website. Information processed for this purpose includes, but is not limited to the type of information listed at (D) above.
We will only use your data for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another related reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If we need to use your data for an unrelated purpose, we will seek your consent to use it for that new purpose.
Please note that we may process your data without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
G Sharing your data with third parties
We may share your data with third parties who provide services on our behalf; for example, our website provider. All our third-party service providers are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your data in line with our policies. We do not allow them to use your data for their own purposes. We permit them to process your data only for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
Where your data is shared with third parties, we will seek to share the minimum amount necessary.
H Where we store or use your data
We may store data collected by the website manually or electronically. The data is stored on our secure servers and/or in our premises within the UK.
There may be occasions when we transfer your data outside the European Economic Area (EEA), for example, when we collect technical information using Google Analytics. Such transfers will only take place if one of the following applies:
- the country receiving the data is considered by the EU to provide an adequate level of data protection;
- the organisation receiving the data is covered by an arrangement recognised by the EU as providing an adequate standard of data protection e.g. transfers to companies that are certified under the EU US Privacy Shield;
- the transfer is governed by approved contractual clauses;
- the transfer has your consent;
- the transfer is necessary for the performance of a contract with you or to take steps requested by you prior to entering into that contract; or
- the transfer is necessary for the performance of a contract with another person, which is in your interests.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to the website and any transmission is at your own risk.
I Third party websites
Our site contains links to and from various third party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
J Retaining your data
We will only retain your data for as long as we need it to fulfil our purposes, including any relating to legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
K Your rights
Information on your rights in relation to your personal data can be found on the University of Oxford website .
M Changes to this policy